I am here to tell you that it doesn't need to be! With a few minutes per week you can keep your paperwork pile in order and maintained! Here are a few tips in getting your important documents in order:
- Have your timer ready and set it...(5, 15, or 30 minutes work great!)
- Bring a trash bag and a shredder to your work space.
- Have your file system handy to place documents immediately in appropriate files.
- Begin with one pile of mail/paperwork, set your timer....and BEGIN!
- Quickly decide if item is "Shred/Discard", "File", or "Immediate Attention/Process"
- Place each item in one of the above piles.
- Once your are finished deciding which pile each item belongs in then file items from your "File" , shred and throw away items in the "Shred/Discard" pile, and lastly either handle items in the "Immediate Attention/Process" pile or make a visible "home" for these items.
- Remember when that timer "dings!" YOU'RE DONE! Put the paperwork aside til the next time you can devote time to it.
It is IMPORTANT to make a place for these documents that is visible and will remind you that it is there. I have an area next to the computer for such items.
That way if I decide I have a moment to get online....I probably have a moment to handle that document.
Keeps me on track and no more frantic searches for lost important paperwork!