This idea applies to time management and organizing your life. Recently, I've been chatting with friends about organizing and the number one frustration that I hear is "I have no idea where to begin!"
Well the answer is simple! One step at a time. Ultimately, the BIG goal is to have an organized home/life. Thinking of where to start can overwhelm most of us!
So the solution is to start small. Here are a few tips:
- Begin with a small project....and I mean small. One pile of paperwork that has been sitting on your desk for months.
- Take the pile of the desk and wipe down the area it was sitting. Just having a clean surface will help you feel like you've accomplished something. (Trust me on this!)
- Make two piles one a shred/toss pile and the other a keep pile.
- Go through the pile and immediately shred/toss paperwork when done. (My ten year old loves to shred so she assists me with this process.)
- Either file "keep" paperwork immediately or make a neat home on your desk labeled "To File".
- Another effective way to start small with an organizing project is to set a timer. Here's how:
- Pick a room/project to organize.
- Take a trash bag and your damp cloth to wipe down surfaces.
- Choose a reasonable amount of time that you can devote to this project with minimal distractions. (If the kids are coming home from school in an hour then do 45 minutes.)
- Set a timer and when the timer dings....STOP...you're done! Finito!
- Take your trash out and before you walk out look at what you've accomplished in a short amount of time....pat yourself on the back!