Sunday, May 5, 2013

The Fog


Do you know The Fog? That place where you wake up, go about your day in the same way, and go to bed feeling like you've made no progress. Like that movie "Groundhog Day". The same thing over and over spinning your wheels but going nowhere?

I know that feeling well. I've been there.

Your house, your job, your family, your life are full...but not purposeful.

There's a remedy to The Fog. The remedy starts with deciding how you want to live your life. The Fog begins to dissipate when you wake up with a plan for your day and the discipline to put that plan in motion.

This is where my "Make Your Bed Theory" comes into play. Start each day with a well-made bed and if nothing else goes as you planned that day at least you've accomplished one task and given yourself one place in your home that is in order, clean, and comfortable. Your own little oasis in a sea of chaos.

Try it, and then start adding other tasks to your daily routine.

In a typical day I strive for a made bed, one load of laundry washed, folded and put away, and a clean kitchen before I head to bed.

Simple as it may sound many of you with busy families and lives know that can be a lot.

Notice I say "strive". These are daily goals I set for my household because the overall vision I have for my house is to have it efficient and in order. Not perfection. I am a professional organizer and if you stop by any day of the week you will find the usual scatter of toys, pile of paperwork needing attention, and occasional dirty sock stuffed in a couch cushion.

I want a home where my family feels comfortable and visitors feel welcome. I also want my home to reflect who I am and I refuse to be a person who is controlled by clutter and chaos anymore. 

The difference between my life now and the days I spent in The Fog is that I have a vision for my home and life and goals to achieve that vision. 

A routine fueled by discipline to achieve your daily goals will over time transform any chaos into calm. Don't be surprised if after you start your new routine in your home that you start seeing changes in other areas of your life: your pants fit a little better out of the dryer, you haven't had an argument with your spouse for weeks, you feel lighter....happier.  

An organized home and routine has long reaching effects....trust me on this. 

Thanks for reading One Organized Mama!
-Janel
oneorganizedmama@gmail.com
www.oneorganizedmama.net

 

 

 

I

 

No comments:

Post a Comment