The "Second Shift" defined by Slang Dictionary is the "shift" of work handled by women at home, consisting of housework. (The "first shift" being their job.)
How do you get a healthy dinner prepared, homework completed, kids shuttled around town, and everything else completed?
Well take a deep breath One Organized Mama has some suggestions!
- Plan Meals- I plan only 2-3 meals max ahead of time and make frequent "quick trips" to grocery store to pick up items during the week.
- Dinner Preparation- While I'm preparing tonight's meal I am doing as much prep work as possible for tomorrow night's dinner. Recipe calls for chopped onions?? Well I chop ONCE, use tonight, then save rest for tomorrow!
- Prepare Lunches- Dinner prep/clean up is a perfect time to pack those lunches! You're already in the kitchen and often times leftovers can go from table, to container, to your lunch box!
- Turn Off the Television- For heaven's sake there's already enough noise and chaos.....the less distractions the better!
- Get Everyone Involved- Not just for setting the table and clearing it....although that's a must for kids in our house. Get older sibling to help younger ones with homework. You'd be surprised at the fights this has stopped with my two older ones!